Indexing an IPFS directory
How to pin the IPFS directory of a promise?
Each promise, provided with a valid IPFS CID, displays the current indexing status of the IPFS directory it points to. Everyone can copy this CID, and proceeds to indexing it. Contributing to the network in such ways ensures that this content will be persistent - for as long as it is indexed by peers.
The status of the IPFS content (pins & deals with Filecoin).
There are multiple ways to set up an IPFS node, and start indexing content, including:
- from the command-line
- using a native browser built-in node (e.g. Brave)
- using IPFS Desktop
The complexity varies depending on the option. This guide is a great way for exploring available methods, while we will only introduce the last one of this list (IPFS Desktop). It is probably the easiest method to deal with, as it installs and manages the local node for you, as well as offering a helpful user interface for managing it.
- 2.Download the latest version corresponding to your operating system (follow this link if you're not sure about the package you need to download).
- 3.Follow the usual install process.
Once IPFS Desktop installed, open it and wait until it completes the initial setup process. Then, you can start pinning your first IPFS file/folder.
The following steps can be followed to pin the content of a promise. This way, you can be confident that as long as you keep your node running, and this content pinned, it won't ever disappear from the network.
- 1.Hover on the IPFS CID in the promise, and copy it from the popupCopy the IPFS CID from the promise.
- 2.Go to the Files tab -> click Import -> click From IPFS.Click Files -> Import -> From IPFS.
- 3.In the pop-up, paste the CID, give it a name if you want, then click Import.Add the IPFS CID, a name, and click Import.
- 4.Once the content imported, you should make sure you are actually pinning it ; it will ensure it is not deleted during garbage collection. To do so, click the, then Set pinning.Click the ellipsis, then Set pinning.
- 5.Make sure Local node is checked, then click Apply.Check Local node, then Apply.
- 6.That's it! Enjoy the comfort of knowing that the content of this promise will not disappear. You don't need to trust anyone - you actually know that it will stay persistent and immutable, for as long as you keep it pinned with your node.